The church was built in the year 1596 on a high pleatue on the banks of River Mapusa. A tributary of River Mandovi.
The church is dedicated to São Tomé (St. Thomas). The parish chapels include those in the localities of Carona (Sta. Rita de Cascia), Quitula (Nosa Senhora de Piedade) and Corjuem (Mãe de Deus).
It has several vadde (wards), which include Quitula, Goncoi, Udoim, Coimavaddo (Voilo and Socoilo), Carona, Santerxette, Castel Vaddo, Naikavaddo, Panarim, Maina Vaddo, Cottarbat and Ranoi.
Aldona is connected to Corjuem by a state of the art cable-stayed bridge held by six cables from either direction. Similarly Aldona is connected to Calvim & Panolem Island with a steel bridge.
Inside, the Church is ornately decorated by symbolic biblical murals and grand statues. The treasures of the church are the subject of a village legend. At one time, the statues of the church were strung with jewellery by villagers as thanks for prayers answered. But Churches were often robbed of these jewels.
The current Archbishop of Goa and Daman, India, Filipe Neri António Sebastião do Rosário Ferrão is from Aldona (born January 20, 1953 in Santerxette, Aldona, Goa, India)
The present serving Parish priest of Church is Fr. Arlino D’mello. The Feast of St. Thomas is celebrated with pomp and gaiety after Easter. Church has been very generous for upliftment of the village in the form of providing land to the Panchayat office & for construction of market.